A research study coordinated by Manel Esteller, Institute of Biomedical Research of Bellvitge (IDIBELL) has identified a substance that inhibits cancer growth by activating the so-called “dark genome (or non-coding DNA) and molecules micro-RNA. The study appears this week in the prestigious scientific journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Science (PNAS).
The human body cells have a genome (the set of our DNA) encoding our protein such as keratin in the skin or blood hemoglobin. This genome with DNA encoding only 5% of our genetic material. The remaining 95% is called the genome dark or non-coding DNA and its role is largely unknown.
Part of this DNA produces small charged molecules called microRNAs activate or deactivate genes. In recent years it has been shown that alterations in these molecules are related to tumor formation. Researchers have shown that small-molecule enoxacin, used in antibacterial compounds, binds to the protein that builds micro-RNA and stimulates their growth inhibitory activity of the tumor.
According to researcher Manel Esteller “is like a second hand car we put an engine just out of the factory.” I have found both in laboratory cells and in animal models and should now be studied in human functioning.
Esteller says so, who stressed that the advantage of this compound is known metabolism and human security. Esteller added that “although this may not get approved the use of this molecule in cancer treatment, am working on finding the door to the design of new drugs that target the microRNA therapeutics. The pharmaceutical industry showed a new direction where to direct their efforts in anti-tumor therapy. ”
Sonia Melo *, Alberto Villanueva *, Catia Moutinho *, Veronica Davalos *, Ricardo Spizzo, Cristina Ivan, Simona Rossi, Fernando Setien *, Oriol Casanovas *, Sio-Riudalbas Laia *, Javier Carmona *, * Jordi Carrere, August Vidal * Alvaro Aytes *, Sara Gates * Santiagi Ward, Raghu Kalluri, Carlo M. Croce, George A. Calin, Manel Esteller *. The small molecule enoxacin is a cancer-specific Acts That Growth by Enhancing inhibitor TRBP-mediated microRNA processing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA (PNAS), Early Edition, February 28th 2011.
|Category: Medical Science||Tags: DNA, protein|